Fortnite Battle Royale Mode Goes Free To Play Today
Today sees the release of Fortnites’s PvP Battle Royale mode go free to all. A clone of Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds, sees you drop in to a large map from a flying bus, fighting it out to be top dog. It’s you against 99 other players, but with a Fortnite spin to it, allowing you to build your own defences against the onslaught of other players.
Celebrating the release of going free-to-play, Epic Games have added some new loot, features and quality of life fixes. Most notably, they’ve added Squads and Duo’s into the game mode so you and a partner, or your team of four can battle other teams for top spot. You can find the patch notes below. Don’t worry though, the Save the World campaign has had some love in this patch too.
So what are you waiting for? Get downloading Fortnite Battle Royal now – this will certainly cure that itch for Battlegrounds until the game comes along.
Fortnite 1.6.3 Patch Notes
- Squads and Duos
- Supply Drops
- New Weapons
- Exclusive camo for Glider and Umbrella for players who have purchased the Founder’s Pack prior to 21st September
- Skydiving and paragliding lateral speeds have been reduced when moving backwards or strafing.
- Falling damage when landing on slopes is reduced depending on the angle of the slope. Full damage is applied for horizontal surfaces, and reduced at steeper angles.
- Foot dust no longer kicks up when crouched, aiming down sights or making small movements.
- While using Health and Shield items, you can now move your character a short distance without cancelling the action.
- Increased distance that you can see other players to 275m (was 250m).
- Greatly increased distance that you can see player-created structures to 275m (was 180m). This fixes issues where players could appear to be floating in the sky, or projectiles would impact an “invisible” distant wall.
- Adjusted Storm safe zones to reduce likelihood of the next zone appearing against the far edge of the previous zone.
- Reduced falling damage. Falling damage now begins just above 3 stories, dealing 10 damage. Damage will continue to increase until becoming lethal at 6 stories.
- Fixed an issue with the Storm safe zone locations.
- This will on average reduce the amount of long-distance running per match.
- Ammo now appears in your inventory and can be dropped.
- Building Materials can be now dropped by double clicking on them in your Inventory.
- Controller support will be added in a future update.
- Weapons, Items and Building Materials can be now be dropped by dragging them to the Recycling Box on the Inventory screen.
- Traps have been moved to the Resources section of the Inventory screen.
- Fixed bug where inventory could display more slots than were actually available.
- Fixed various issues that could cause the game to crash.
- Added an indication of time left in the warmup lobby to the taskbar icon on Windows.
- Spawned loot will now spread out a bit farther from their container.
- Updated the tips displayed on the Battle Royale loading screens.
- Fixed the Storm safe zone continuing to shrink after the game had ended.
- Fixed camera moving away from Battle Bus during network lag.
- Eliminated camera pops when your player initially spawns into the world.
- Fixed “You cannot do that now” appearing while holding down the Reload button.
- Fixed “Unable to Improve Building” appearing when clicking right stick on a controller.
- Fixed Shield Potion use being cancelled by pressing the button multiple times.
- Improved some chest and loot spawn locations.
- Fixed distant chests appearing as orange boxes.
- Fixed various collision issues with the landscape and buildings.
- Fixed some underground basements being inaccessible.
- Fixed issues with some trees floating above the terrain.
- General bug fixes and improvements to the world.
Save the World
- Fixed multiple client crashes.
- Fixed multiple server crashes.
- Fixed a rare issue that caused some players to be unable to play the Save the World mode when connected to Twitch.
- Fixed an issue where the Teleporter and Banner gadgets would hover over empty space and are instead destroyed.
- This prevents these two gadgets from being used to keep players in a “death loop”.
- Lok’s Book of Monsters
- The Floating Freaks quest will remain after the Mutant Storm Event ends and will unlock after Stonewood Storm Shield Defense 3 quest has been completed.
- Playing a Survive the Storm mission in a grey zone results in no XP gained.
- Players will now be given a notice before playing a Survive the Storm mission in a grey zone
- Fixed an issue that caused players to see zero XP earned after a mission, even though all XP was actually earned. Players should see the proper amount of XP earned at the end of a round.
Fixed an issue causing the Hydraulic Rocket Launcher to be heard from long distances.
For the full list of patch notes, visit the official Fortnite Blog.
Do you already own Fortnite? If not, will you be downloading the free PvP mode? Let us know your thoughts and opinions in the comments below.
If you would like to stay up to date with all the latest Xbox One news, reviews, competitions and information, make sure you like our Facebook page, join our Facebook group or subscribe to our YouTube channel. You can also follow us on Twitter and Twitch.
- Previous This Weeks Deals With Gold And Spotlight Sale – 26th September-2nd October
- Next Pankapu Review