Blizzard’s Overwatch coming to consoles
Announced for PC at BlizzCon last year, Overwatch is a brand new title from developer Blizzard. Famous for titles such as World of Warcraft and Starcraft, Overwatch is Blizzard’s first fully new game in over 17 years; and thanks to a new image released by Blizzard it’s confirmed that the game will be heading to consoles in what’s expected to be the first half of next year.
What is Overwatch? Well, it’s Blizzard’s attempt to bring their renowned gameplay style – easy-to-learn, hard-to-master – to the first-person shooter genre while retaining the focus of playing with others. Featuring teams of six, players pick their hero and attempt to take down the opposing team. Maps are based in locales around the globe with a futuristic vibe, such as the hologram-lit streets of London or an Egyptian bazaar overshadowed by a high-tech pyramid. Blizzard promise that each map is “iconic” and created with a mind to each character’s unique abilities. Combat can take place on the ground, on rooftops, and in the sky, all at once.
Story-wise, as mentioned, the game is set on a stylised and technologically advanced Earth far in the future. A global crisis brought together an international band of soldiers, scientists, adventurers, and “oddities” known as Overwatch to restore the peace after the ravages of war, but Overwatch’s influence ran out and the group was disbanded. However, the world is still in need of heroes.
Overwatch will offer many heroes for players to choose from, but you can get a taste of four of the characters from their descriptions:
- Tracer, a former British test pilot who shrugs at danger, can execute impossible acrobatic assaults thanks to her ability to teleport, drop energy bombs, and even reverse time.
- Reinhardt, a hulking German soldier in battle armor, can charge great distances and pin his enemies to a wall or slam the ground with his rocket hammer to knock them off their feet.
- Hanzo, a bow-wielding Japanese mercenary, has the ability to scale walls with his bare hands, fire off a tracking device that illuminates nearby enemies for his team, and unleash a huge spirit dragon that does grievous damage to all enemies in its path.
- Symmetra, an Indian architech, manipulates light and energy to shield her allies and damage her enemies—and she can turn the tide of any battle by building a device that instantly transports her teammates to the front lines.
Although each hero is strong by themselves, together teams can combine abilities and powers to become an unstoppable force. You can find out further information on the official Overwatch website, and take a gander at the collection of videos below that further highlighting characters and gameplay.
For more news, reviews, competitions and articles, join Xbox One UK’s Facebook Group, Like our Facebook Pageand follow us on Twitter. Plus, if videos are your thing, check out our YouTube and Twitch channels!
- Previous Take a look at the new Avatars and OneGuide coming next week
- Next New Xbox One Experience 2X As Fast As PS4 UI